Things that happened today that made me happy/proud-of-self/pleased:
- Had a conversation with Clay and told him everything that I was having problems with (however, the entire conversation took place from 1am to 3:30am-ish, so I’m not sure how coherent I really was).
- I took advantage of the advanced polling for the Canadian federal election and I voted for the first time ever. When I first walked in, I thought that there were only 4 candidates running in my riding – but there are actually 6 (two of them just never called, posted up signs or were mentioned in any of the local papers).
- I stood up to my father when he accused me of doing something (“You never remember things that you need to be responsible for, how can we ever let you live by yourself?”). It was over the fact that I forgot my prescription sheet on the kitchen table. Umm… Wrong! It was originally clipped up, and it wasn’t there when I went to get it and he was holding it and then put it down next to my mom’s purse. Since he moved it, he should be responsible for remembering to take it out of the house. I told him in a very calm (but according to my sister, slightly menacing) voice that it was his responsibility and he just stared at me for a moment with wide eyes.
- My sister and I were talking about ‘having children’ again today (my father brought it up during lunch – thanks dad!). And I mentioned jokingly about how the only way I’ll get pregnant is if condoms, spermicidal jelly and birth control pills fail on me all at the same time. She told me that she can see me having kids one day, but only in the event that I choose to have a child because I’m “much too responsible” to have an “accident”, to have a child because everyone else is having one or to consider having a child without seriously planning for it and being financially and emotionally stable. And as she was telling me all of this, I realized that she was right. I plan everything as extensively as I can. But it’s rather nice to have someone verbally recognize this. “Besides, Michelle. Whatever you end up doing, you’ll be great at it and you’ll come out on top – you always do.”
- I received a text message today form the boyfriend (and after the conversation very early this morning before I went to sleep, we’re still together – gasp?). He’s out with his best friend today and he sent a text message that did manage to make me smile. However, still not happy with him. But where’s what it said (edited to make the spelling and grammar correct as to not make you want to gouge your eyes out with a red pen): Hey sweetheart, just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you. A nice gesture, but I sent the following back: Nice to know, but talk is cheap.
Now my question(s) for you all of you is: When was the last time someone unexpectedly praised you? Who was it? What was it about? What did they say?